Thursday 18 June 2015

An International Congress in Borneo

I think I've been neglecting this blog of mine.  I've been trying to update as often as possible but there's always something that pops up at the moment you want to sit down in front of the laptop and start writing.  Well I decided to day to update my blog.  It's been a while I know.  I have a problem with procrastination.

One of the reasons why I was "away" from my blog is because I promised a friend to help host an international event here in Kuching.  I moonlight as a Master Of Ceremonies so I signed on to help out.  My friend asked me last year to host this event, I felt really honored to be involved with this International Congress. I promised to talk about this event and I will.  This is the view from my "office" during the opening ceremony.  I like to call the rostrum my "office".  I always like the look of a hall or ballroom before it's full of delegates.

























The International Congress was held in the Borneo Convention Centre Kuching (BCCK).  This is the Main Hall of this magnificent facility. 
Another look from my "Office" awaiting the arrival of the Governor of Sarawak who is the Guest of Honour for this International Congress.
With the arrival of His Excellency The Governor of Sarawak, we got underway.
Borneo is a unique location for International Events like this Congress.  It is an exotic yet modern host to events such as this one.  The Borneo Convention Centre Kuching for example offers all the modern amenities to cater to such events but what Borneo offers is something unique.  Here's what I mean, after the official business of the day was done, all two thousand plus delegates were treated to a Welcome Reception, so instead of just dinner and drinks, the organisers offered something more, something different, good food and the culture of Borneo.
What makes this Welcome Reception special is the demonstrations of the various Ethnic Dances and Performances by the Ethnic Communities in Sarawak.  The performances took place among the delegates, that way each delegate could watch, take their photos and yes even try out these dances for themselves.  The main idea is for the delegates to try their hand at the dancs.  
This gentlemen wanted to try the bamboo dance.  Yeah it looks like an easy dance but there's a lot that goes into this dance, speed, dexterity and balance, well you get my drift.  He did however give it a good try BUT...
It wasn't as easy as it looks, the dancer has a lot of experience and has done this dance many times before but I really have to respect this gentlemen, he picked himself up, dusted himself off and got back to dancing, well done sir.
And what's a reception without some live music.
This reception has local music for the delagates as some of these delegates had never been to Borneo, sothe  music was live, no recorded elevator muzak just live music.  The instrument you see here is called the SAPE, a boat lute which creates a very distinct sound, a local musical instrument that is synonymous with Sarawak, the SAPE has become an icon for the Rainforest World Music Festival here in Sarawak.

I was truly honored to host this event, it presented a few challenges for me but thanks to the organising committee, they made my job as the Master of Ceremonies easier, smoother.  Thank you for working with me on this congress.

In the next few weeks I'll have more to share with you, drop by anytime for the next Borneo Broadcast, you're welcome to drop by anytime.  Take care always.


No comments:

Post a Comment