Sunday 16 August 2015

A Sarawak Original

It is good to be back.  I've been away from the Borneo Broadcast. Again. But I have a good reason, I had a great experience being at the 18th Rainforest World Music Festival.  This festival is just an experience that is just describable.  You have to be there in order to know what I felt in the seven days I was there.

The festival was held at the Sarawak Cultural Village from the 7th to the 9th of August.  I was there earlier because I was hosting the performances for the festival.  It was a great experience enjoying music from around the world and this year the bands were just outstanding, I'm going to share my experience with you in my next post but for this post, I wanted to share something with you, something I call A Sarawak Original.

A few days leading up to the festival, I met up with an old friend of mine named Ricky Sia.  It had been a while since we last met but it's always a pleasure seeing old friends again.  When we met, he was wearing a really unique T Shirt.  I thought that it was different and it really had a local Sarawak design and motif.  A real Sarawak Original.  It had slipped my mind that earlier this year Ricky had told me that he was printing and selling these T Shirts.

It occurred to me that since I was going to be at the RWMF this year that having these T Shirts would be cool.  If nothing else, it would be a great way to promoting Sarawak and Borneo to people at the Festival.  So we arranged to meet up and I bought 2 from Ricky.  Ricky also threw up a few other T Shirts as well.  (Thanks Ricky)  Through out the entire Festival, I wore these T Shirts with pride, being someone from Sarawak, from Borneo.  Here's a look at the various designs Ricky has.


There you have it, the T Shirts from Amazing Borneo.  If you're wondering, yeah they also come in white and grey as well.





















While I like the black T Shirts, I think the white ones are cool as well.  I guess what I really like about T Shirts like these is the simplicity of the design and also how original they are.  The fact that Ricky thought of using the famous Empurau, the orangutan and also other motifs that are uniquely Sarawakian makes these T Shirts a must have for me.  I'm glad I bought these T Shirts, they're another unique way of introducing Borneo to the world.


 I like this one, a friend of mine on the RWMF Production Team noticed this shirt and said: "Really Cool Design.  I like it."  Often times, you get a lot of generic shirts being made out there but these are definitely not generic.  They're comfortable and they look really nice.
I wore this one to the RWMF preview show that was held on August the 5th.  I really like how it looks and the fact that the word BORNEO is boldly written on the T Shirt made it really stand out.  Again a nice design which attracts attention and it is indeed a Sarawak Original.  I'm particularly happy and proud of Ricky for designing and producing these T Shirts.  

If you'd like to know more about Amazing Borneo and their beautiful T Shirts, then just visit their facebook page, just look for Amazing Borneo, you won't miss it because you'll see all their T Shirts on display.  They also have posters for sale and remember all their T Shirts are all handcrafted.  
That's Ricky right there hard at work with another T Shirt design featuring the Orangutans of Borneo.  Go visit their facebook page and you'll be able to keep track of what Ricky is doing with his T Shirts and what other Unique Sarawak/Borneo Originals he's got coming up.  Thanks Rick for these great T Shirts, I love them.

Now that the RWMF is over, will I stop wearing these T Shirts?  No way, they're too cool not to wear.  See you again next time for another Borneo Broadcast.


1 comment: